THE OBENSON REPORT

Covering Cinema From All Across The African Diaspora

Uhura Can Pull A Knife On Me Any Time She Wants!

My first blog of 2008! Do I hear champagne fizzing, balloons popping, women moaning and men groaning? That's what I thought.

Anywho... here's a quasi stream of consciousness piece I thought I'd share.

The Hollywood black actress du jour, Zoe Saldana (yes, it appears they can have only one at a time; we can't have too many popular black actresses taking good roles away from their Caucasoid counterparts; although Ms Saldana's "blackness" has been in question, since she's actually Latin American; although one can certainly make a reasonable argument that certain Latin Americans/Hispanics/Latinos are indeed Africans. I'm not sure what's PC these days, so I certainly hope I'm not offending anyone. Feel free to school me if necessary)... anyway... as I was saying, Hollywood "black" actress du jour, Zoe Saldana (notice "black" is in quotes) will be assuming the role of Lieutenant Commander Uhura in the upcoming, highly anticipated theatrical update of the popular Star Trek TV series from the 1960s. The film is slated to be released later this year, and is being directed by Lost creator (J. J. Abrams), on a $150 Million budget!


As you may already know, the role was initially played by the fabulously sexy (and black) Nichelle Nichols (ok, so some might say she's fairer skinned than most - or light-skinnededed, as some might say... or caramel-complected as others might say... but think of the era in which the series aired and you'll understand why). She's now 75 years old, and still looks quite ravishing!

BTW, did you know that the kiss she shared with Captain Kirk (William Shatner) in 1969 - I can't remember which episode - was the first interracial (black/white) kiss that ever aired on national television? Of course it had to be a white man kissing a black woman for it to be accepted by the flock, although it did cause quite a stir. However, imagine if Sidney Poitier stuck his tongue down Katharine Houghton's throat in GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER, in 1967? I should watch that film again actually. I don't think there's even a scene where they peck each other on the cheek. I could be wrong though.


Oh, and here's a humorous bit of related info - during the Comedy Central roast of William Shatner in 2006, Nichelle Nichols referred to their 37-year-old kiss, and said to Shatner, "Let's make TV history again... and this time you can kiss my black ass!" HA! MILFy and funny! Perfect combo!

Alright, I'll shut up now... I found this old clip of her from Star Trek at what maybe was her most ravishing moment... I especially dig her demeanor after she slaps Sulu and falls back onto the rail, as she utters the words, "I'm afraid I've changed my mind... again." YES! Freaking haute, I tell ya! Let's see Zoe Saldana pull off that kind of sexuality...

I'm feeling groovy today, and hope you all are too. It's going to be a good year. I can feel it :o)

Carry on...



And while you're at it, you should get yourselves one of these...


TAO

0 comments:

Post a Comment