THE OBENSON REPORT

Covering Cinema From All Across The African Diaspora

"The Wire" Still Gets No Respect

I've never watched an episode of HBO's series, The Wire. Why, you wonder? Well, I don't watch much TV, and even if I did, I don't have cable TV, nor am I in any rush to make it a staple in my household of 1. It's too distracting. I have more important work to do.

However, I've heard nothing but grand things about the program, and will likely pick up the entire series on DVD, to catch up on all that I've missed to date. I'm ready to be impressed!

Despite not having seen the program, I still appreciate producer, David Simon's comments below (notably the last paragraph), and thought them worth sharing.

David Simon is white, by the way.

ASSOCIATED PRESS
January 7, 2008

NEW YORK – HBO's “The Wire,” which opened its fifth season Sunday, has gotten little recognition in Tinseltown. Executive producer David Simon says that's fine with him.

The series has been acclaimed by critics and has a cult-like following – but has earned just one Emmy nomination in four seasons. Simon and George Pelecanos were nominated for writing in 2005 but lost.

“I don't give a (expletive) if we ever win one of their little trinkets,” Simon told Newsweek. “I don't care if they ever figure out we're here in Baltimore.

“Secretly, we all know we get more ink for being shut out. So at this point, we wanna be shut out. We wanna go down in flames together, holding hands all the way.”

Each season of “The Wire” has focused on a different aspect of the grit and blight of an American city in decline. Simon feels the show doesn't get credit for its diverse cast, nearly all of whom had no high-profile prior credits.

“Let me indict Hollywood as much as I can on this one,” Simon said. “We have more working black actors in key roles than pretty much all the other shows on the air. And yet you still hear people claim they can't find good African-American actors. That's why race-neutral shows and movies turn out lily-white.”

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
     

    So funny you should mention this. Just about two hours ago I was talking with a co-worker who watches this and sings its praises. I too, have never watched an episode of the show.

    Maybe I can do the same, someday; rent the seasons on video.

    I've heard nothing but good things about this show.

    It looks like you and I are missing something.

  2. Anonymous said...
     

    The Wire is the sh*t. I tape the series with DVR. Its awesome because it shows the inner workings of drug dealers in Baltimore ((which my friend that grew up there says they are pretty on point about)) and how they are able to out smart the cops. And it shows how young black boys are recruited and kept in check within the drug trade. I got hooked the first time I watched it. I actually saw one of the main characters in Fort Greene in the Fall.

    Its just well written and the actors are great.Highly recommended... Paulette

Post a Comment