THE OBENSON REPORT

Covering Cinema From All Across The African Diaspora

Confessions Of A Ex-Doofus-ItchyFooted Mutha

How exciting is this? MVP (Melvin Van Peebles) has a new flick on the way, titled... drumroll... Confessions of a Ex-Doofus-ItchyFooted Mutha.

Yes, you read that correctly folks! Just like Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (SSBS) MVP wore just about every hat for this one, writing, producing, directing and starring. And just like SSBS, it's about a man constantly on the move.

I couldn't find much on this, and everything I did find had the same 3 or 4 sentence write-up, sans video, or any images from the film. So, I gather MVP is being secretive with it.

However, I'm glad to say that Confessions of a Ex-Doofus-ItchyFooted Mutha will have its world premiere during this month's Tribeca Film Festival, right here in New York City. So, you can guarantee that I'll be making every effort to get tickets for any of the 4 scheduled screenings of the film, with the first one occuring on the 27th, still a few weeks away.

Here's the description as listed in the Tribeca program: "Melvin Van Peebles, still our most playfully inventive filmmaker after nearly 50 years, returns with a boisterous adventure that ranges from Harlem to the high seas, following the exploits of an unforgettable character (MVP, natch) who’s always on the move—but keeps ending up back in New York."

Like I said, not much to go on. But given that it's MVP, and with a title like Confessions of a Ex-Doofus-ItchyFooted Mutha, how could I not be intrigued!!?!?!? I'll be sure to share my thoughts after I see it.

As an aside, I also read that he's currently working on a double album with Madlib (one of the most prolific and critically acclaimed hip hop producers of this century), to be released on the independent label, Stones Throw Records.

0 comments:

Post a Comment