THE OBENSON REPORT

Covering Cinema From All Across The African Diaspora

Dear Will Ferrell...

Dear Will Ferrell,

You're nowhere near as funny as you seem to think you are.

Your overgrown frat boy shtick has long worn out its welcome.

Sticking your hands underneath your armpits and making offensive sounds was mildly humorous in the 7th grade.

Enough with the short shorts and tight shirts showing us your pasty, hairy parts.

Leave the funky hairstyles alone.

Jerry Lewis put the physical slapstick humor bit to bed a long time ago, even though Jim Carrey did his best to assume the throne.

Your "cowbell" skit on SNL in 2000 is probably the funniest thing you've ever done - although Christopher Walken's presence certainly helped tremendously!

Go away Will Ferrell!! You don't have to disappear entirely, but do yourself a favor and take some years off... rethink your career strategy.

You took a somewhat surprising, albeit welcomed turn with Stranger Than Fiction in 2006, but then quickly made us forget with the unfortunate trifecta of Talladega Nights, Blades of Glory, and Semi-Pro, in succession.

I say all this out of concern for you and your future... really!!

You seem like a likable guy, although we've never met.

And I'm sure you're simply trying to earn a decent living like the rest of us. I'm ok with that as well.

However, I thought the exact same things about Jim Carrey several years ago, during his Ace Ventura/The Mask period.

Once a guaranteed box office draw, he unfortunately can't claim that title anymore.

So, learn from Jim, I implore you; or in a few years, possibly less, you'll become THAT guy who made THAT movie; or even worse, THAT guy from SNL; and you'll be relegated to starring in commercials that only air on Saturday mornings on the cartoon channel.

In closing, I do hope that you're saving a significant portion of your million dollar (or more) paychecks... you know... just incase :o)

Your friend in spirit,

Tambay

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
     

    I don't watch much of his stuff but he always seems like some kinda goofball or somepin.

    Funny and comedic is one thing.

    Goofballs are another.

  2. Anonymous said...
     

    I second the motion. After Talladega Nights and Blades of Glory I was about to get a petition started...lol.

    - P

  3. The Obenson Report said...
     

    @ TBA - Trust me, you're not missing much by not watching his stuff. Once you've seen one, you've seen them all!

    @ P - Talladega Nights was it for me. Haven't seen anything of his since then, and given what I've seen that he has coming up, I doubt I'll be seeing anything of his for sometime.

Post a Comment