THE OBENSON REPORT

Covering Cinema From All Across The African Diaspora

Super Hero Deluge

With the success of Iron Man this weekend at the box office, it's safe to say that Super Hero flicks are here to stay... at least for the next 3 years, when we can expect to see even more franchises adapted for film theatre screens. I did see Iron Man this past weekend, and it was entertaining. It's a summer extravaganza, so I didn't go in with particularly high expectations, so I was neither disappointed, nor completely fulfilled. Will I see it again? Probably not! Do I recommend it? Sure - why not! Just leave the analytical part of your brain at the entrance doors to the theatre.

So, anyway... I found the following list of upcoming Super Hero films in the pipeline for Marvel Studios (partly or fully responsible for much of the Super Hero fanfare we've seen over the years). I'm sure Super Hero comic book fans are foaming at the mouth in anticipation. Keep in mind that this is just a partial list, meaning there's a lot more that's not listed here!

Marvel Studios Entertainment Pipeline
(Development and release dates for licensed properties are controlled by studio partners)
The Incredible Hulk - Scheduled for June 13, 2008 release

The Punisher: War Zone - Scheduled for December 5, 2008 release
X-Men Origins: Wolverine - Scheduled for May 1, 2009 release
Iron Man 2 - Scheduled for April 30, 2010 release
Thor - Scheduled for June 4, 2010 release
The First Avenger: Captain America (working title) - Scheduled for May 6, 2011 release
The Avengers - Scheduled for July 2011 release
Ant-Man - Writer/Director working on project... no release date yet (
Ant-Man?? Are you serious? There really is a Super Hero known as Ant-Man? Geez! How the hell does he fight crime?)

ADVERTISEMENT
Compusa (Systemax, Inc.)

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
     

    What? Obenson you're not on an Iron Man high today?

    The trailer for the movie looks really good...but for some reason I refuse to go see it. I tend to have this adverse reaction to overly hyped movies.(and I think this has been the most overly hyped movie since The Titanic and I waited 5 years to see it) I don't know why...just my little quirk I suppose.

    I think I'll wait for the DVD.

    I do however want to see 'Hancock'. Have you heard anything about it?

  2. The Obenson Report said...
     

    Hey Nic - it was ok... nothing spectacular. There's obviously an audience for it, since it made $200 million over the weekend, worldwide. There's going to be a sequel, which I certainly hope is an improvement on the first.

    Nothing new on Hancock yet, except the new trailer I posted below... but it's 2 months away, so I'm sure there'll be much popping up on the web soon.

  3. Qadree said...
     

    I saw the trailer for the Hulk and the special effects look like video game quality.

    I saw Iron Man and was not as into it as the other people in the theater. Before the film there were a couple of trailers for movies that feature White American actors playing foreigners. One was Adam Sandler playing what I believe is an Israeli, and the other I believe had Mike Meyers playing guru from India, comedies of course.

    What is it about these cultures that is so funny to Americans? People in the theater were cracking up those trailers, then I see Iron Man and the U.S. military is portrayed in such an innocent way that it really began to look silly in my opinion. People love it though, I guess it's just a sign of the times.

  4. Anonymous said...
     

    Damn, man.

    I wish I cared about superheroes.

    My friend Karl, tried to coax me to Iron Man.

  5. The Obenson Report said...
     

    @ Qadree - I have seen those 2 trailers you mentioned - the one with Michael Myers and the other with Adam Sandler. You expressed my sentiments exactly! Iron Man himself, Robert Downyer Jr plays a white actor playing a black man in an upcoming Ben Stiller flick. I'm sure you've heard of it by now. I'm looking forward to seeing how that film is received, since it hits much closer to home.

    @ TBA - You don't necessarily have to care about super heroes to enjoy some of these films. Most of them follow recognizable formula.

Post a Comment