THE OBENSON REPORT

Covering Cinema From All Across The African Diaspora

Airline Does Away With In-Flight Movies

You know times are rough when airlines start doing away with in-flight movies! Oil prices are a killer, aren't they?

I haven't flown in awhile (I don't like flying), and it's actually rare that I'm on a flight during which a movie is made available. And even when that does happen, I hardly ever bother to watch. Often the selection is something of absolutely no interest to me - usually something family-friendly, for obvious reasons. So, I don't give a shit if I don't get my in-flight movie on my next coast to coast trip. I'm sure I can find other ways to fill my time, like, I don't know... read a book... or sleep... or have sex in one of the claustrophobic bathrooms - sex at an altitude of 30,000 feet in a space the size of a broom closet can be quite exhilirating. Y'all should try it sometime, if you haven't. Just don't get caught :o)

But I digress...


Hollywood does depend on this kind of ancillary distribution revenue stream, although it's probably neglible and so likely won't affect the studios' bottomline very much.

Here's the sad news from The Hollywood Reporter:

- The Hollywood studios will take a revenue hit when US Airways does away with in-flight movies, but execs don't expect other airlines to follow suit...

US Airways said Tuesday it would stop offering in-flight movies on domestic flights this fall to cut expenses, citing pressure from rising fuel costs. Although airlines are often prone to copycat moves on pricing and customer services, Hollywood execs in regular contact with airline officials said Wednesday they don't believe other carriers will follow US Airways' lead this time.

The rest can be found here: NO MORE IN-FLIGHT FLICKS.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
     

    WTH! So no food, no movie, additional luggage charges...and the airfares continue to climb out of control. They'll have us loading our own luggage and cleaning the plane next!

    - P

  2. The Wendilicious Wonder said...
     

    @ Anonymous "-P"

    Think cross section pictures of the hold of a slave ship... except you'll have to pay for the privilege!

    :0

Post a Comment