THE OBENSON REPORT

Covering Cinema From All Across The African Diaspora

Vanity Fair's Hollywood Next Wave - Zzzz

So... Vanity Fair magazine just unleashed its August 2008 issue with the cover story being Hollywood's next wave - essentially a list of bright young generation Y talents the editors think will rule the kingdom in coming years, as their baby boomer parents gradually fade into obscurity... well, ok, not quite obscurity; but Hollywood's M.O. seems to include the tenet that once you're of a certain age, let's say post-60 years old, your value to them starts to diminish... thus we see less and less of you... sometimes none of you at all.

And as expected the magazine's list of Hollywood's next wave phenoms is a complete "white-wash"... that is to say, it's not very, shall I say, colorful?! Certainly no rainbow coalition here! But, as I started off saying, I'm not surprised, and I don't think anyone really should be.

Interestingly, as I looked over the chosen names and faces, I realized that I actually have no idea who most of them are. Then again, I suppose that's the idea, right? "Unknowns" who will soon become "knowns." So it's like a "we discovered these kids" kind of thing. Aha... ok... I see now. Bleh...!

I should point out that there IS one black face in the mix - a 24-year old brotha by the name of Rob Brown who's break-out role was in Finding Forrester, although we haven't seen much of him since then. He's done a few films, but nothing particularly memorable. He'll be starring in the upcoming bio-pic titled The Express, a drama based on the life of college football hero Ernie Davis, the first African-American to win the Heisman Trophy. It co-stars Dennis Quaid, Charles Dutton and Aunjanue Ellis. I've seen the trailer. I rolled my eyes and shook my head a few times.

If you're so inclined, you can check out the entire list of kids HERE.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
     

    Like you said, Zzzzzzz. It's Vanity Fair. It should be expected. Whateva!

  2. Invisible Woman said...
     

    This is why I have no enthusiasm for movies/tv/magazines.

  3. The Obenson Report said...
     

    I sent an email to Vanity Fair expressing my thoughts on this. I'll certainly post any response I get back from them, if I get anything back.

Post a Comment