THE OBENSON REPORT

Covering Cinema From All Across The African Diaspora

Vondie Curtis Hall, Denzel Whitaker, Xzibit In "Bad Lieutenant" Remake

I actually haven't seen the original 1992 version of Bad Lieutenant, directed by Abel Ferrara, and staring Harvey Keitel. It's one of those films I usually overlook when looking for movies to rent/buy. Something about Harvey Keitel's performances bug me... not quite sure what it is, but I've never really cared for most films I've seen him in, and the obvious common denominator is that he's in all of them. I'm sure he's a fine actor and gentleman, but ehhh...

Anyway... German filmmaker Werner Herzog seems to think he can improve on the original Bad Lieutenant, since he's "re-imagining" it for 21st century screens, with Nicolas Cage as the self-loathing police officer with various addictions. Included in the lengthy list of actors assuming roles in the film are: Vondie Curtis Hall, Denzel Whitaker (the chubby kid from The Great Debaters), and rapper-turned-actor Xzibit, who's quite busy these days in front of the camera with roles in 3 features over the next 12 months, notable the upcoming X-Files movie sequel. Does he still host MTV's Pimp My Ride series? Probably not, I'd expect. I'm not sure what roles all three gentlemen will play in Herzog's film, but one article does say that Xzibit will be a criminal.

For those not familiar with the story, in Bad Lieutenant, the titular character (Cage in this case/Keitel in the original) investigates the rape of a nun and uses this as a chance to confront his personal demons on the road to eventual redemption. Obviously, it's more complicated than that, but you can always rent the original and watch it. I'll be doing that, likely this weekend. I've certainly avoided it long enough...

Here's the trailer for the Abel Ferrara/Harvey Keitel version:




SOURCE

1 comments:

  1. Invisible Woman said...
     

    Holy sh*t! They are going to do a Black remake of this? No way! I saw the original, and if they do it the same way I will be shocked.

Post a Comment