THE OBENSON REPORT

Covering Cinema From All Across The African Diaspora

Obama Too Fit To Be President?

I'm still laughing at the ridiculousness of this article from the Wall Street Journal (I'd expect a lot better from them, but maybe this is indicative of Murdoch's influence - remember THIS?). It's a couple of weeks old, but I'm just now seeing it, so I'm posting for any one else who didn't catch it.

Get your laugh on below while I go get myself a shrimp salad sandwich...

Speaking to donors at a San Diego fund-raiser last month, Barack Obama reassured the crowd that he wouldn't give in to Republican tactics to throw his candidacy off track.

"Listen, I'm skinny but I'm tough," Sen. Obama said.

But in a nation in which 66% of the voting-age population is overweight and 32% is obese, could Sen. Obama's skinniness be a liability? Despite his visits to waffle houses, ice-cream parlors and greasy-spoon diners around the country, his slim physique just might have some Americans wondering whether he is truly like them.

The candidate has been criticized by opponents for appearing elitist or out of touch with average Americans. A Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll conducted in July shows Sen. Obama still lags behind Republican John McCain among white men and suburban women who say they can't relate to his background or perceived values.

"He's too new ... and he needs to put some meat on his bones," says Diana Koenig, 42, a housewife in Corpus Christi, Texas, who says she voted for Sen. Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primary.

"I won't vote for any beanpole guy," another Clinton supporter wrote last week on a Yahoo politics message board.

The rest here:
That Skinny Elitist Dude

0 comments:

Post a Comment