THE OBENSON REPORT

Covering Cinema From All Across The African Diaspora

Good Tuesday Morning!

zoot


Yesterday, The Sartorialist posted the above photo on his website (if you're not familiar with the Sartorialist and his website, then this may not mean much to you, and I don't want to have to explain who he is or what he does, but you can find out on your own, I'm sure he has a Wikipedia Page)...

Anyway... so, he posted the above photo on his website, and the discussions that followed in the comments section since then have been quite intense and fun to read. So far, there are a total of 165 comments! Who would have thought that a single picture would cause such a stir... so much that Monsieur Le Sartorialist himself had to post a message this morning, essentially defending his reasons for posting the above photo...

For example, one dude said,
I'm a black man and I love your site, but I'm really tired of how 80 percent of the time you show a black guy it's of some "fashion don't" freaky guy or some weirdly dressed space pimp. Seriously. When you show a normal, very well dressed black man I'm almost shocked. The way a person edits usually tells you how they see the world. I can't tell you how to see the world, but at least realize that some of us can see that you have some different glasses on when it comes to non-white guys.

And another said,
I don't agree that 'we' have a problem with "diversity." This isn't about diversity. In each situation, you show something you appreciate. In most cases, you appreciate it because you like it. In this case, you appreciate it for the 'effort' and for the splash it makes on the street/web page. But, as said above, this, if not a "fashion don't" is certainly not a "do." A guy dressed like this is not going to be at your dinner party. If we're talking about "diversity," in my view, it doesn't include simple 'illustrations.' It's as if this fellow is here for comedic effect. Yes, i believe the words written here in response — that people 'appreciate' this man's love of fashion. But, i find it hard to believe that anyone here likes his choices or RESPECTS those choices.

This is like the upper west side folks going to Central Park and pausing for a moment to watch the 'urban' kids dancing for change. Clearly, it's different than the other examples.

Please, Sart - admit it. There's nothing in that image that you would wear. In the other examples, though, you choose people/clothes you actually ADMIRE.

The Sartorialist defends himself by stating,
The start of my style education was with those guys in The Time. Just because I never wore a Zoot Suit or Stacy Adams (I did have baggies - ask my sister, she might have pictures) doesn't mean that I wasn't heavily influenced by the concept. Again, and I hate to use the term, but it was a case of abstract inspiration.

These guys were all about style with a capital "S". Style for them was all about getting women, and as a teenage boy in Indianapolis that sounded pretty good to me. As a result, I never thought that fashion wasn't something most straight guys talked about. If I felt totally comfortable talking about clothes with my guy friends it's because it was so normal in the music I was listening to at the time. I'm sure that is a part of why I like Kanye now.

If you are embarrassed by the image I posted today or see no value (aesthetic or educational) then you really need to ask a few questions before you attack. This gentleman is as basic to my personal catalog of style as any old Italian gent that I have ever shot. I hold him no higher or lower on the style scale, he just is what he is and I accept it and delight in it.

I'd consider myself somewhat fashion conscious, but I've never been too keen on Stacy Adams. Crocs and baggies just aren't my thing... but I won't knock others for donning them though :o)

See the carnage and judge for yourself: ZOOT SUITS, MORRIS DAY AND HARLEM
ZOOT

1 comments:

  1. Invisible Woman said...
     

    Uncle Louis, is that you?




    btw, my uncle louis did actually dress like that :-(

Post a Comment