THE OBENSON REPORT

Covering Cinema From All Across The African Diaspora

Jeffrey Wright Talks "Cadillac Records"



As I mentioned in a previous post, I've grown weary of historical black dramas, as they seem to have dominated black cinema in recent years. I'm anxious for more contemporary stories about black people. We do exist today as well, in all our varied forms and complexities, and our films simply don't reflect that fact.

However, I will see Cadillac Records when it opens this weekend. I'm not particularly enthused about it, but, in my line of work, as a blogger and podcaster on the subject of black cinema, I feel obligated to see as many films that fall under that umbrella as possible - the best, worst, and everything else between.

Where exactly in that range Cadillac Records will register will be determined after I sit through it some time this weekend, and I'll certainly share my thoughts on the film here, as well as on my weekly podcast.

If I had to pick one aspect of the film that could be considered somewhat of a draw, it would be Jeffrey Wright's presence; he's certainly one of the most talented, committed and versatile actors working today, and I will almost always sit up and pay attention whenever I hear that his name has been attached to something.

Too bad he's entirely wasted in the last 2 incarnations of the James Bond series with Danielle Craig. I'll assume he picked up a tidy sum of cash for the thankless role he plays in each installment, because his talents could be better exploited elsewhere.


Wilson Morales at the Black Voices blog interviewed Wright about his role in Cadillac Records, amongst other items, which you can read in its entirety here: Jeffrey Wright Talks 'Cadillac Records'.

In it, Wright talks about his upcoming projects - all stage work, interestingly, not film.

1 comments:

  1. The Wendilicious Wonder said...
     

    But there's always Tyler Perry, or whatever 'urban' movie, or rap-star vehicle, or rap-star biopic, or ghetto-fabulous comedy, that happens along next.

    So perhaps... zzzzzzzzzz

    Um, sorry. What was I saying?

    Oh yes, a bit more variety certainly would be nice but historical black dramas is better than no black dramas.

    And of course most of JW's future projects are for stage - he's a bonefide actor, not a movie star.

    Wow, I actually managed to write a comment on a JW post on your blog and not mention the term "man-crush". Erm... Oops!

    :D

    Just teasing.

Post a Comment