THE OBENSON REPORT

Covering Cinema From All Across The African Diaspora

Good Friday Morning!

good
Vacation's over! But unfortunately, I'm fighting a cold/cough! So far, I'm winning the battle. Wish me luck!


A reminder: This Monday, January 5th 2009, from 8PM to 9PM, Brandon Wilson and I will countdown our top 5 films of 2008, on The Obenson Report Podcast on black cinema (you can listen to past episodes of the program via iTunes. Just search for "Obenson Report" in the iTunes store).

Your participation is strongly encouraged. We would love to know what your top 5 films of 2008 are, so please do share! The January 5th recording of the podcast will be dedicated entirely to top 5 lists of 2008, and we will read some of the submissions we receive on the air.

You can post your selections here, on this blog, or you can email them to talk@obensonreport.com; or call and leave a voice message on our toll-free voicemail with your choices at 1-800-765-7249, and we'll play your message on the air.

We're looking specifically for films that were released in 2008 - but the format on which they were released is not important. So, they can be films you saw on DVD, that weren't released theatrically, or films that were only released on television (whether network or cable), or films you saw at film festivals, or other microcinema screening events that have no distribution, etc...


Brandon and I will share ours on the podcast.


So... let the good times roll!

Cheers to 2009!

4 comments:

  1. Karen said...
     

    Here's my list:

    1. Slumdog Millionaire
    2. The Dark Knight
    3. Rachel Getting Married
    4. A Raisin in the Sun (TV movie)
    5. Front of the Class (A Hallmark Hall of Fame made for TV movie)

    *Side note: I haven't seen The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Doubt, Revolutionary Road, Happy-Go-Lucky or Frozen River yet so the last two picks aren't set in stone. But the top three are solid.

  2. The Wendilicious Wonder said...
     

    Hmm...

    Can't say I saw a lot in 08 that caught my fancy.

    Some of the films you're bound to discuss and which I'd like to see still haven't opened here in the UK, or are only just about to and I haven't got around to seeing yet (Synechdoche New York, The Curious Case...).

    The only film I can think of that I remember liking was 'ELEGY' starring Ben Kingsley and Penelope Cruz, and which seemed to have disappeared without trace or mention. Then 'THE BAADER MEINHOFF COMPLEX' also left an impact. I really wanted to see, but missed (short run), 'Gomorrah' so not sure if that should actually be included on my list at all.

    So that's only only two. Sorry, but I'm not feeling very generous of spirit towards Hollywood this year.

  3. The Wendilicious Wonder said...
      This comment has been removed by the author.
  4. The Wendilicious Wonder said...
     

    Oh, I rememered three other movies I liked last year, managing to bring my total to 5.

    1. Elegy
    2. The Baader Meinhoff Complex
    3. In Bruges
    4. Burn After Reading
    5. Before The Devil Knows You're Dead

Post a Comment