THE OBENSON REPORT

Covering Cinema From All Across The African Diaspora

SUNDANCE - TRAILER - The Carter



As the Sundance Film Festival opens, buzz titles are springing from the mouths of buyers', as they do every year.


From all I've read this morning, two documentaries are apparently already garnering the attention of both festival visitors and film distributor execs present in Park City. One of those docs is Adam Bhala Lough's The Carter, labeled "the authorized feature documentary" which "looks at the life and career of rapper Lil Wayne," aka Dwayne Carter Jr., proclaimed by many as the "greatest rapper alive." The doc includes "comprehensive and personal interviews with Lil' Wayne," as well as "in-depth insight from those that know him best."

According to The Hollywood Reporter, about The Carter, "there is high commercial potential for the right distributor!"

Ok. Wow! That sounds definite, doesn't it?

I know nothing about Lil Wayne, but I could point him out to you in a photograph. I don't consciously listen to his music, other than, maybe, at parties, or being blasted from cars that drive past me. Although, I couldn't tell you what any track is called, or album title.

So, it's clear that I'm likely not the audience for this documentary. Although, given the hype, I can't help but be curious. I don't think I've witnessed this much interest and intrigue in a rapper in awhile.

I was just on iTunes listening to samples of his music, and none of it really moved me. Hip-hop is just not what it used to be when I was a fervent supporter, in the late 80s/early 90s, when people like Lil Wayne were still in the single-digit age bracket.

Those of you who are more familiar with him can share your insight...

Below is a teaser trailer for The Carter which doesn't reveal much (that's why they call them teasers). If The Hollywood Reporter is right about the film's prospects, we can expect to hear news of the film's acquisition by a distributor at Sundance, some time over the next 10 days.

1 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
     

    this one goes straight to my don't want to see it list

Post a Comment