THE OBENSON REPORT

Covering Cinema From All Across The African Diaspora

CHA-CHING - Top African American Celebrity Earners



What's the point of these Forbes magazine "top earner"/"worlds richest"/"biggest spenders" list, other than to remind us of the ever-increasing gap between the super elite and the proletariat? Although some might say that they are encouragement for the 98% of us that have to battle for the remaining 50% of the worlds wealth that the top 2% don't own. This too could be you, if you just worked hard, and had a few lucky balls bounce your way.

Yeah. Sure. If you say so.

So, here we are again, a month into the new year, and Forbes reminds/encourages us yet again, with another list - the "Top Earning African American Hollywood Celebrity Earners" from June 2007 to June 2008.

And, no surprise, her Royal Highness, Oprah Winfrey is at the top of that list! I think she's been #1 for at least a decade, if not more. So, she deserves the "Royal Highness" title. The big "O" earned a whopping $275 Million in that 12-month period! Wow! That's approximately, $750,000 per day! Can you imagine earning $750,000 every single day you worked? At my current annual salary, it'll take me several years to earn that kind of money; but she banks that amount daily! Damn...

Oprah, if you read my blog, as I'm sure you probably do, can you toss me a day's worth of your earnings? Just 1 day. You won't miss it... not one bit!

Second on the list is, *gasp*, Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson! Who woulda thunk it? I knew the cat was wealthy, but not this wealthy - so much that he's ranked second behind her Royal Highness. 50 took home $151 Million from June 2007 to June 2008. Just as I was, you're probably wondering what exactly earned him all the cash? Well, there's his G-Unit clothing line, his record label, he was in at least 1 studio film I last year, and has others in production; then there are his video games, and lastly, platinum albums. He's a business man, and it's obvious he's making some smart decisions with his money, and not carelessly throwing it all away like a few others did previously. So, good job keeping your ship afloat Mr Cent.

And lastly, 3rd of the list is, also not a big surprise, Madea's alter ego, Mr Tyler Perry, who deposited $125 Million in the 12-month period. The man is everywhere, as you all know well - TV, film, print, stage... what else am I forgetting? Of course, he recently cut tape on a new production studio lot in his Atlanta, GA homestead.

So, combining the earnings of all 3 stars, we get a total of $551 Million. Not quite enough to cover the $700 billion TARP bill; but probably enough to feed a small African nation for a year.

For some unknown reason, Forbes lists just the above 3 celebrities. Maybe a full list is forthcoming some time later; unless I just missed it altogether.

Watch the accompanying Forbes video below while I go figure out how I can make my first million:

1 comments:

  1. The Wendilicious Wonder said...
     

    He's doubtless in the top 10, but I'm surprised "Big Willy" didn't make it to the top 3! Guess he's not quite as big as I thought he was.

    50c and Madea...? I'm surprised, but hey, good for them! Wonder if they'll ever topple Her Royal "O"nesses crown...? She's certainly an inspiration. Long may she reign!

Post a Comment