THE OBENSON REPORT

Covering Cinema From All Across The African Diaspora

COUNTDOWN - Watchmen


The year's first highly-anticipated, mega-budgeted flick hits theatre's this Friday... but, quite frankly, I'm not looking forward to it.

Does anyone else out there planning on seeing this think it will disappoint? I think it will. I've read the graphic novel several times, and from the moment I heard it was being adapted, I had my doubts. I was curious, but, concerned. I just don't think it's suitable adaptation material, and will be better appreciated in print form. CGI be damned!

Many of the video clips I've seen thus far (and there have been A LOT) don't impress, and instead generate unintentional, unexpected chuckles, bringing a levity to the characters and story that are counter to the graphic novel's ethos.

Even the novel's creator, Alan Moore, distanced himself from the project, and has also refused to see it. After the horrendous filmed version of his other graphic novel, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, one can understand why he would be ambivalent. Moore said he intends to give any resulting royalties from Watchmen to the comic's artist, Dave Gibbons - and if Watchmen proves to be the blockbuster that Warner Bros hopes, Gibbons could become significantly wealthy!

Will I see it? Probably... with trepidation of course... likely not during opening weekend. I'll be going into it with rather low expectations, so, I actually might be pleasantly surprised!

2 comments:

  1. Karen said...
     

    I probably won't see this one in theaters. If it comes to the $1 show I'll give it a shot though.

  2. Anonymous said...
     

    Against my better judgment I will be going to see this in the theater. The comic book/graphic novel fan in me can't resist, but if the tres corny trailer is any indication, disappointment is inevitable. They are calling it the next "300" after all.

Post a Comment